Frequently Asked Questions in Dean of Students’ Office

  1. Are there halls of residence in MUBS?

MUBS has only one hall of residence (Berlin hall) and it only accommodates a few female students. The rest of the students are non-residents.

  1. Does the School provide meals to students?

Yes. However, meals are provided to only government sponsored students and privately sponsored students who are residents (Girls). Government sponsored students who are non-residents are only entitled to lunch while the resident students access all meals. A living out Allowance that is given to the non-resident students caters for the other meals not provided by the school as well as accommodation.

  1. What are the different co- curricular activities in MUBS?

There are various co- curricular activities that are organized by the different units of the University. However, the co- curricular activities specifically organized by the Dean of Students are:

  • sports and games which are coordinated by the sports office
  • the cultural galla which is coordinated by the Students’ Guild
  1. What are the benefits of Government Sponsored non- resident students?

Government sponsored students are only entitled to Lunch (on presentation of a meal card issued by the DOS), and a Living out allowance to cater for supper and accommodation. 

  1. Why do Government sponsored students fill Living Out Allowance forms every semester?

The Living out Allowance forms have to be filled every semester for accountability purposes. We cannot pay living out allowance based on just numbers. Students must first register with the School Registrar’s department and issued with registration cards as evidence of their status as bonafied students.

  1. Can Government Sponsored Students who do not want to eat from the school dining hall be given an allowance that is equivalent to the Lunch served?

A refund for missed meals is not possible. Meals are prepared for the entitled students and since they are expected to be at campus when meals are served, no refund is expected.

  1. What is the criteria for getting accommodated in Berlin Hall?

There is a Subcommittee of Management called the Room Allocation Committee that sits to consider the applications for accommodation. The Applications are received by the Dean of Students Office which presents the list of applications to the Room Allocation Committee for consideration. Allocation is based on the first come first serve basis.

  1. How much money does Government give nonresident students?

Government nonresident student are paid Shs. 398, 500/= per Semester as LOA. Since it is paid every semester, students are required to apply for it every semester. This means that if you do not apply for it, then you do not get it. 

  1. Can any student pay for meals to the Dean of students?

No. Meals are only prepared for the students who are entitled such as the resident and non- resident Government Sponsored students.

  1. Can Living Out Allowance be got immediately government students report for studies?

No. Students must first register before getting the LOA.